Monday, November 5, 2007

I Came, I Saw...

I took my 7 hour long Woodworking 101 class. It was very overwhelming, and the fact that I was one of two people in the class put me on edge. Some might jump at the chance for a private lesson plus one, but the thought made me cringe- turned out not that bad though. Mark Giles taught the class, and kept referring to it as a “firehose of information”, which it was. There was much discussion about buying a table saw first, a planer second and a jointer third… and of course a dust collecting system. How serious about all this am I? Table saw for 1100 bucks? It seemed like wanting to learn to play piano, but first building an addition to your house to fit the baby grand your would have to purchase. I learned about a woodworkers group that meets up in Austin… most members seem to be interested in fixing antique furniture or turning wood pens (snore) but Jason Bedre has some promising items on his site. Maybe I can get a good table saw on the cheap, and see what I can do with it? And pick myself up a book about bending wood along the way…

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...