Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Toy Box/Record Cabinet Take One



I finally wrapped up this toy box/record cabinet number, and have some pics to share. Basically, it's two pieces, but they'll be right next to each other and I wanted em to have some similar features. This is an old TV stand thing we got at Target many moons ago that was hiding my records. I started taking it apart here. I reused the majority of this guy, but changed it to fit in with the mostly birch plywood toy box I whipped up.



I didn't use the same top for the record cabinet, but I did reuse the hardware to make things easier on my own self... (though there had to be some wicked precise placement of these little buggers).

I covered the side panel of the cabinet with a thin plywood to match my toy box, and also did me some painting of the open space so basically none of the dark wood shows (except fer in with my records, where no one will go but me... and I don't like me enough to make that area pretty).
Here's the actual toy box getting some real low brow clamping action. When the baby starts crying in the monitor, it's time to throw heavy concrete blocks on the thing instead of gittin everything just so... babies don't care about pretty clamping, just about eating mac and cheese and cheerios or whatever. Anyhoo, here's a little insight about the front of this toy box... well, let us jump down below, shall we?



When I worked at Crestview Doors, we'd have tons and tons of wooden rectangular window cut outs, since the CNC machine cut through the solid wood doors to put windows wherever. The inside of the doors where butcher block style wicked heavy doors. I always thought the butcher block innards looked kinda cool, so I grabbed some of the cut outs, ran them through my table saw so they were all the same thickness, and glued em together. Table Saw and I became pretty good friends, but I had to leave certain pieces a little thicker than the average b/c even though we were getting tight, Table Saw was still all, "I swear to God, I'll eat that hand bro," so the thick cut guys gotta stain, and the others got a clear coat. I made up some doors to go on the record cabinet piece to match the toy box, which can be seen here. Part Two is coming... right now it's time to take a shower, and...

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...